Re: login differs between cygwin and cygwin/X

On Sat, 29 May 2004, Alder wrote:

I'm trying to set up Cygwin for the first time and have run into an
access issue I can't resolve.  I RTFM, but being no expert in Unix I
could not find what I needed to know, namely, how the login process
differs for the same user between a bash login shell started on the X
server, and one that is started without the X server.

The bash login shell on the X server starts up by sending this message
before the command prompt appears:

        lstat(./kpsewhich) failed ...
        ./kpsewhich: No such file or directory

The bash login shell without the X server starts up "normally".

The user in both cases is the same, so is it safe to conclude that file
permissions are not the cause of this difference?

I've attached the output of "cygcheck -s -r -v" in the hopes that
someone can spot the problem there.  In any case, I'd really appreciate
some guidance on how to start debugging this issue.  Thanks.

Alder

You need to pass the "--login" option to the bash shell started by the xterm, either by changing the "xterm" invocation to "xterm -e bash --login -i" or by passing the "-ls" option to xterm. Igor -- http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/ |\ _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu ZZZzz /,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com |,4- ) )-,_. ,\ ( `'-' Igor Pechtchanski, Ph.D. '---''(_/--' `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-. Meow!