RE: XWin and multiple users

Kris Thielemans wrote:

> > user    startup           $DISPLAY       file in /tmp
> > Alice   XWin :0 $OPTIONS  localhost:0.0  /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
> > Bob     XWin :1 $OPTIONS  localhost:1.0  /tmp/.X11-unix/X1
>
> thanks!
>
> this brings me to the security scare that I mentioned a few months ago.
> Isn't it a bit strange/unsafe that /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 has read/write
> permissions for everybody? I observed that user A can (accidentally) launch
> an xterm on the display of user B (who launched XWin with that display), and
> so expose everything he (i.e. user A) has on that machine. Worse, he could
> maliciously put some X stuff on the display of the other. (Maybe even read
> some stuff?)
>
> why not set /tmp/.X11-unix/X0 etc to owner access only?

There is a second security layer builtin to X11. You can start XWin with the
-auth  option and XWin reads authentication options from this file. Then only
clients are allowed to connect who know these credentials.

So the secure way is to
(1) create credentials
(2) store them in a file readable only to you
(3) add them to ~/.Xauthority
(4) start XWin -auth <file from 2>
(5) only xterm which has read access to ~/.Xauthority can connect

This has been discussed some time ago in the mailinglist and afair there are small
scripts available. Search the archives for md5sum. This should bring up some of them.

also seee man xauth, Xsecurity, Xserver for more details

bye
    ago
NP: Allied Vision - Coaxial Hardware
 http://www.gotti.org           ICQ: 126018723