RE: XWin and multiple users

Kris Thielemans wrote:

> Hi
>
> I started a thread on this a few months ago. Some mail-archive searching
> would help you.
>
> Unless you want to use Fast-User-Switching (FUS), the solution is to exit
> XWin before you log out ( a good idea in any case), e.g. by double cliking
> the X icon in your task bar. If you do need FUS, apparently you can try to
> start different users on different screens (using the -screen option of
> XWin). I've never tried that though.

The -screen option will not help. Use other display numbers instead:

user    startup           $DISPLAY       file in /tmp
Alice   XWin :0 $OPTIONS  localhost:0.0  /tmp/.X11-unix/X0
Bob     XWin :1 $OPTIONS  localhost:1.0  /tmp/.X11-unix/X1
Charly  XWin :2 $OPTIONS  localhost:2.0  /tmp/.X11-unix/X2

If the /tmp/.X11-unix directory still makes problems start XWin with
XWin -nolisten unix $OPTIONS
This way the :0.0 display will not work but localhost:0.0 and hostname:0.0
will still work and can be used as replacement.

> > On a windows XP machine with cygwin-x installed, if I can start the X
> > server, then other windows users cannot. re-assigning ownership of
> > /tmp/.X11-unix/ from chesky to jake allows jake to run X when he is logged
> > in, but then I cannot.
> >
> > The error message implies that /tmp/.X11-unix/ should be owned by root,
> > but there is no such user.
> >
> > I'll try to subscribe to or monitor the list, but please cc me
> > when replying.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --Joel

NP: grauzone.03-09-28