From: "Rudolf Kollien" <Rudolf.Kollien@medas.de>
To: <cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com>
Sent: Friday, April 09, 2004 7:08 AM
Subject: 6.7.0.0 XWin w/out -nodecoration running in background doesn't
display anything

Hello,

i just upgraded to the new X11 (X.org) version of cygwin/X (Release
6.7.0.0-1.
I use XWin to connect via XDMCP to several linux server. My previous used
startup script is a MS-DOS batch file in which i fire-up XWin.exe with
"start
XWin.exe -fp.... and so on". This is all ok. I get an connection and can
work. But.... with this new X11 release i get a additional window with all
the status and error messages from XWin. Until now XWin run in background
when startet by the DOS "start"-command.

When i try the new cygwin command "run", as used in the sample
startxdmcp.bat,
i'm only can do this by supplying the "-nodecoration" parm. Without this
param, i do not see any X-client nor the login screen from kde (in my case).
Even XWin runs an has a connection to the server. I see the "X" in the
systray, right clicking an choosing "Exit" reminds me that three clients
connected.

Shortly said: when you want to run X in a M$-Windows Window (let
- -nodecorations away) then you can't run XWin in background.

As i use up to 6 XDMCP connections to different linux servers with different
screen sizes and resolutions, i now have 12 Windows on the desk (or taskbar,
when minimized).

Is there a way to get the old behavor back?

Testcase:

- - "run XWin.exe -query HOST" = you see the "X" in the systray but nothing
else.
- - "run XWin.exe -query HOST -nodecorations" = you get a fullscreen login
screen to the server
- - "start XWin.exe -query HOST" = you get the servers login screen in a
Windooze window and an _additional_ console window with the text messages
from XWin.exe
- - "start /b XWin.exe -query HOST" = same as "run XWin...."

Regards

- --
Rudolf Kollien
email: Rudolf.Kollien@medas.de
Never trust a operating system you have no sources for