Re: Do I need XFree86 now that XOrg-x11 is the default X-windowing system?

Anybody wrote:

Do I need XFree86 now that XOrg-x11 is the default X-windowing system?

When I do a fresh install, I see that a couple of packages in the removed
packages section are still selected.
These are XFree86-base and XFree86-bin.  Are these really necessary is I
install xorg-x11-base and xorg-xll-bin?

Those packages are all empty, they are just used to force removal of the files from those packages before the files from the xorg-x11-* packages are installed. If we didn't do this and you later removed the XFree86-* packages you'd end up deleting files from the xorg-x11-* packages, which you don't want to do.

In other words, just ignore the XFree86-* packages in the ZZZRemovedPackages category, they contain no files and don't matter to you anymore.