Re: Upcoming X.org release and splitting packages

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
>
> > --with-terminal-type=xterm-xfree86 was just so I wouldn't get
> > it set to xterm by default (lynx etc are black and white with
> > it).
>
> I'm not sure this would be a good idea to change the default if we were
> not doing this before anyway.  Then again, I would rather defer
> judgement on this one to someone with more knowledge on this subject.

Question to Thomas: Why make xterm the default if all (?)
ncurses applications run in black and white with it ? Sure, you
can change .Xdefaults etc, but go figure.

> > --disable-tek4014 --disable-vt52 seems to be recommend because
> > it adds bloat and only a few people use it.
>
> Might not be a bad idea, but the .exe is only 233 KiB at the moment.  It
> isn't exactly bloated.  :)

According to INSTALL:

"This reduces the executable size by 17% (checked 1999/3/13)."

Thomas should update it. I didn't notice 1/4 of it in the
size.

Maybe --disable-vt52 isn't worth. It isn't listed as bloat.

> > You can presumably replace the xc/program/xterm/ with
> > xterm-185/ and the make World will use it.
>
> The idea here was to break xterm into its own package so it can be
> updated with more frequency and possibly handed off to someone else for
> maintenance.  I have done this with the new 'xterm' package in
> setup.exe... should hit mirrors by tomorrow.

Sure. You just need to make sure all options enabled by a build
with xmkmf are with one using configure.

Isn't there an easy way to check ? At least here all options
that were in my XFree86 build and I didn't disable in configure
are reported by xterm --help / xterm -h.

--
http://www.pervalidus.net/contact.html