Re: X/Cygwin icon proposal

An icon doesn't deserve *this* much attention, but...

Nahor wrote...
> Subject: Re: X/Cygwin icon proposal
> Alexander Gottwald wrote:
> > It looks good in the tray and taskbar, but not in the titlebar. (see attached
> > images)
> > If you can build ico files with both alpha and non-alpha icons why not include
> > your version with alpha channel and for non-alpha either the boxed (which I > liked)
> > or a plain two-color variant.
..
> > cygwin is unix. unix is simple (shell and stuff) and this is the opposite
> > of the bubble-gum os WinXP with alpha channel.
> Uh? I don't get your point. I personally don't buy a machine just to run
> unix. I use it to do other stuff (mostly compilation) that do make use
> of CPU power. So I have a recent machine, so I have XP. I assume that
> quit a dew (most?) geeks using Cygwin/XFree would be in the same case.
> But it's just a guess.

Here's my two cents on the issue, as someone who has supported
an application for 7 years that, at one time, supported everything
from Win 3.1 w/Win32s through Windows XP:
   - Default to a safe setting for anything that's not critical. -
You'll save TONS of user grief, and by extension, your own.

Sure, at home I run WinXP.  But at my office, and lots of other
offices where XWin.exe is used people are still using Win NT or 2K.
You can't just go to your IT department and say "gimme WinXP,
it's new and makes things faster and more fun!"  And from the
recent list archives it seems like there are home users w/Win98
using cygwin.

Default to a safe icon format but include the XP specific
one in the exe.  You can access it with a line "TRAYICON ,101" in
your .xwinrc file no matter what.

Or, fix the code to detect the OS.  If OS>=Win5.0 use alpha icon,
OTW use standard icon.  That can be done at runtime w/a few lines
of C.
--
-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com