Re: Interim source package compilation instructions

Thomas Dickey wrote:

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

4) If you want to perform a clean rebuild, just run the following
command first before repeating step #3.  Beware that removing thousands
of files on my machine takes between 5 and 25 minutes (it varies for
some reason) and could take up to an hour if the Windows machine is

cygwin's file-delete is very slow.  Generally the Windows delete is much
faster (even counting emptying the trash).

Are you referring to a delete through Windows Explorer? I assume you are because you are referring to the trash. In fact, I quite often do a Shift+Delete on the folder to delete it without sending it to the trash, but this takes just as long if not longer. NTFS was just not designed for several thousand files, nor does it allow for good delete performance of entire directory trees. Not to say that those were bad decisions, they were basically trade offs that they had to make to do other things, but it is annoying.

particularly slow.  Of course, Linux with ResierFS completes this
operation immediately.

sort of.  I've observed that there's a big performance hit when I untar
large files or do other operations that create new files.  Haven't noticed
that it's an faq though.

Not sure if you are talking about a performance hit under Cygwin or Linux? I agree, untarring on Cygwin is horribly slow for large files. Linux usually doesn't have a problem with operations on thousands of files, at least not for me.