Re: Questions on xhost, local display, etc.

On Fri, 12 Mar 2004, Chris Green wrote:

> Is it possible to run any of the cygwin/X programs that require to
> display something other than in the console window without running a
> local X server of some sort?  If it isn't possible with the default
> set up is there any workaround?  It would be good for example to be
> able to run GUI editor windows (e.g. xvile for cygwin) without having
> to run an X desktop.

Not really. gvim does such a thing. It has a fallback to tty if X11 is
failing. But it must be prepared in the program.

> I have looked back in the mailing list archives at the earlier thread
> and reminded myself how I eventually overcame the 'catch 22' problem
> of not being able to run xhost because it wanted permission to write
> on the display which needed xhost to run to allow it to.  Is the
> /etc/X0.hosts file format described or documented anywhere?

It is referenced in man xhost. But the format is quite simple. One
allowed host per line.

> it  would be good to have this in the FAQ at least because it's a
> lifesaver!

I will not put this to the faq since its a big security hole and should
only be used if there is no other way.

bye
	ago
--