Re: XWin Xserver maximum root area exceeded?

Brigitte,

Bonert Brigitte wrote:
Hello,
Thank you very much for your answer.
I am sorry I think I left out too many details when describing my problem.
The application I am running is proprietory but I do have the code and I
actually changed the code to get as far as I am with this (it is a part of
an Energy Management system and I am using its console interface code to
display the status of of the high voltage grid on a display wall .. these
are special pictures with symbols for generators/switches/lines etc).

Okay.

Do you run only this app by itself (or are other applications supposed to show on the display wall at the same time?). If it is the only application, then see what happens when you run XWin.exe like this:

XWin -fullscreen -depth 8

That would allow you to leave Windows in 16, 24, or 32 bit color, while XWin would switch the display to 8 bit color when it received the focus. You would probably want to run a window manager such as 'twm' so you could move windows around. But just try running your application first to see what happens.

I do not think that my application cannot handle a root area of 12800x2048
(or 6400x2048 which is the minimum I need) but suspect that cygwin/X cannot.
My reasoning for this is that the application runs without error with the X
server WinaXe6.7 (for which I have a special version that can handle a
12800x2048 root area sent to me from LabF.com). The problem with WinaXe is
that it uses a lot more CPU time than cygwin/X, when I compare them (using
of course the root area in which both work).  Because of this I would really
like to use the cygwin X server but cannot, because of the problem I
encountered.

Hmm... we seem to be missing the answer to one question: does any app work in Cygwin/X at 12800x2048? In other words, can you run an 'xterm', drag it to one monitor at a time, and verify that it operates correctly when you type in and run a command like 'ls'?

If yes: Cygwin/X is working just fine in 12800x2048 mode. As I previously requested, try sending your application the -geometry parameter to restrict its size when Cygwin/X is running in 12800x2048. It will be useful to know if your application still fails to run in this case (e.g. -gemotry 6400x2048+0+0).

If no: What happens? Please be precise in your description. If Cygwin/X fails to start in this configuration, then send in /tmp/XWin.log from an instance when this happens. A failure to start could probably be fixed, but any other sort of failure (like one or two of the monitors not drawing the xterm correctly) might be harder to fix.

I'll need to know this information in order to diagnose the problem further.

I am using a Windows2000 workstation with special Display driver code (this
is code from the company which also builds the projectors) and I am not
really sure that Windows2000 "knows" that it has 20 monitors I tried the
multimonitor option just in case it helps but it does not appear to.

That is fine... it even eliminates some possible failures.

A friend recommended using xmon to find out more of what is happening. Do you have experience with xmon?

No, I do not know what it is.

What happened to the option emulatepseudo ?
My X application uses Pseudo colours and in order to get the cgywin Xserver
to work I had to set the number of colours to 256 for my display definition
on the PC
(very ugly when wanting to run other applications).

-emulatepseudo did not do anything useful. It was a placeholder for a feature I was working on. Somebody has told me they are working on proper PseudoColor emulation that will work on all platforms, but they haven't finished it yet in the past two months. I don't have an ETA for this either.