Re: Cygwin/xFree from 2 users

Jim Scheef wrote:
Alexander and all,

I guess I wasn't clear. I'm sitting at my notebook looking at the XP login
screen. If I log in using js@domainname, Xwin works fine, but fails to start
when I log on using js@machinename. The machine and the Cygwin/Xfree
installation are one and the same in both cases. I use the same username (js)
in both cases for convenience and I was hoping that this would make it easy
to use the same Cygwin home directory (/home/js) for both logins. How can I
make this work?

Jim,

Are you doing the "fast user switching" where both users are logged in at the same time? Or, can only one of your "js" users be logged in at a time and you are experiencing the failure at that time?

The home directory question is generic to Cygwin, not related to Cygwin/X at all. I'll give you a start though: you need to edit Cygwin's /etc/passwd and change the home directory for the two different users (user id names do not identify a user to Windows; instead, the SID identifies the user, you should see two 'js' users listed in passwd). You might also need to check the permissions on /home/js before doing this to ensure that both users will be able to write to it. Again, that is a generic Cygwin/Windows question that should be looked into elsewhere if you need more help.