New log file header

The new header in the log file, as of XFree86-xserv-4.3.0-49, looks like the following:

Welcome to the XWin X Server
Vendor: The Cygwin/X Project
Release: 4.3.0.49
Contact: cygwin-xfree at cygwin daught com

XWin was started with the following command line:

XWin :0 -multiwindow -clipboard

ddxProcessArgument - Initializing default screens
[...]

The release number 4.3.0.49 corresponds exactly to 4.3.0-49 of the XFree86-xserv package. This number should always match the version of the XFree86-xserv package with each future release.

The contact information is in the log file so that no one can claim that they did not know whom to email when they send me log snippits :)

The command line information is there because we need it for diagnosing problems, but it is also there because we are all human and sometimes the way that we started XWin.exe differs from the way that we thought we started it.

In addition to this new log header most of the same information is presented in a popup message box when the server crashes and FatalError is called. Finally, this information is also presented when a command line argument is malformed (e.g. -screen what), when an invalid command line argument is passed (e.g. -junk), or when help is requested (e.g. -help). This popup box tells the user to look at /tmp/XWin.log for more information. The next step here would be to present the DOS path to /tmp/XWin.log so that a user with a little less knowledge will be able to find the file.

I am pretty proud of this collection of little features: I think they are going to result in an improved image for Cygwin/X since users will feel empowered while also saving us time from having to prompt people to send us the information that we need; it should also eliminate a lot of mistakes in the reporting of that information. Lets hope that this is the best Cygwin/X release ever :)