Re: Configuration for multiple monitors

Ãyvind Harboe wrote:
perhaps the below should *always* be TRUE and there shouldn't be an option at all?

No, I'd like -nomultiplemonitors to exist.

I have two monitors, but the second is usually turned off. Various X client dialog boxes and application windows usually come up in the center of my desktop, which means half on one monitor, and half on the other. If that weren't annoying enough, it makes life sheer hell when one monitor is turned off!

This is why I do not use -multiplemonitors, even though I /have/ multiple monitors. Even when both monitors are turned on, it's plenty to have one for X apps, and another for regular Windows apps.

Granted, the real solution to this issue would be to play nice with nVidia's nView software. It offers these modes for dual-monitor work (the following is copied verbatim from nView on-line help; the mode I use is Dualview, which I believe is nVidia's default):

Single Display. Only one of your connected displays is used.

Clone. Both displays in the display pair show images of the same desktop.

Horizontal Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one wide virtual desktop. The width of each display is half the width of the total virtual desktop width.

Vertical Span. Both displays in the display pair behave as one tall virtual desktop. The height of each display is half the heiht of the total virtual desktop height.

Dualview. Both displays in the display pair behave as one virtual desktop. Unlike Horizontal or Vertical Spanning mode, Dualview treats ach display as a separate device. This means that the task bar will not be stretched across displays and 3D applications are not accelerated as efficiently if the application Spans displays.

-JT