Verifying that Cygwin/X X Server can be built from xserver repositoryon freedesktop.org

Currently, I am making Cygwin/X X Server releases from a local XFree86 4.3.0 tree that has been heavily modified. The latest Cygwin/X X Server code is stored in the xorg repository on freedesktop.org, but there are some small differences between the xorg code and the code that I build releases from (e.g. xorg has support for a new logging facility, while the 4.3.0 tree does not).

I would like to start making releases from the xorg tree, but it has not yet been tagged as 4.4.0, so I am hesitant to do this. Furthermore, if I am going to change the tree that I make releases from, then I had better evaluate whether it is time to do what I ultimately intend to do: move the latest Cygwin/X X Server code to the xserver repository on freedesktop.org.

The prime benefit of moving to the xserver repository at this time is that we can use the new composite system that was recently created. We can use the composite system in Cygwin/X to finally provide support for PseudoColor visuals on top of a TrueColor display. Translation: People would finally be able to run 8 bit palettized color apps on their 15, 16, 24, and 32 bit displays, while also runnings apps in the default color depth. The composite system is of interest to me because I have been thinking recently about attacking the PseudoColor emulation problem again.

The prime drawback of moving to the xserver repository at this time is that it has the potential to be boring. The autotools (autoconf, automake, etc.) are very slow on Cygwin and it is likely that changes would have to be made to the configuration files in order to get the build working on Cygwin. Simple problems will possibly require several cycles of making small changes, waiting a few minutes for configure to finish, then trying a build. There is unlikely to be anything difficult in this process, it is just likely to be time consuming. On the other hand, things could work perfectly and the first reply to this message might be "it works". So, go forth and try it!

I am **very** interested in moving to the xserver repository at this time. I am seeking help from anyone that want to try checking out the xserver repository from freedesktop.org and attempting a build of it on Cygwin. I am not interested in pledges of help in the future. Class starts for me again on Monday, so if this is going to happen, then it will be 50% done by Saturday or it won't be happening. If you are interested, checkout the code, try to build it, and start proposing patches for small problems that you notice. I may start working on this myself, so it would be wise to site in #freedesktop and #cygwinx on freenode.org to make sure that we don't work on the same things simultaneously. I can also provide assistance in those chat rooms, as can others that are already working with the xserver repository.

For information on the xserver repository (such as how to check it out), see:

http://freedesktop.org/Software/xserver

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help with getting xserver building on Cygwin,