Re: Clipboard configuration

Sam,

Sam Edge wrote:
Harold L Hunt II <huntharo@msu.edu> wrote in
<3FFD70AB.4080100@msu.edu>
in gmane.os.cygwin.xfree on Thu, 08 Jan 2004 10:00:59 -0500:

Øyvind Harboe wrote:

A good configuration option is no configuration option :-)
Is there any reason not to make -clipboard default for XWin once the current round of changes are out of the door?
In the past xwinclip crashed intermittantly and it clobbered the clipboard, so -clipboard not being default made sense.

I have already been thinking about it.
I'll eventually make -clipboard the default and add a -noclipboard option to disable it.
That is what we have typically done for all features that newly reach stabililty.

It could be argued that if the -query or -broadcast option is also
being used the default should remain -noclipboard.

Most (remote) display managers turn on X authentication and prevent
the internal clipboard client from connecting to its own Cygwin/X
server. This results in the client wasting its time doing it's
start-up retries. This isn't a huge waste - more a niggle.

Really... huh... I guess that's why I call GenerateAuthorization within the server to create an MIT MAGIC COOKIE, then I call XSetAuthorization in the clipboard thread to pass that cookie to the server when using Xdmcp? :) You must not have been reading the change logs too closely :)

If the inter-clipboard functionality is eventually re-coded into the
server end instead of being an X-client it will avoid the
authentication problem and the default can be changed to 'enabled' in
all cases.

No, the clipboard functionality will always need a client connection to perform conversions of text with Xlib. I talked to Keith Packard about this... he has frequently used internal clients running in separate threads to perform such tasks... it is essentially an accepted practice. You do, however, have to go one step further than we had gone before and handle authorization issues if you want to use it with Xdmcp. That has now been done.