Re: some questions relating kde-cygwin and XWin

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004, Ralf Habacker wrote:

> Hi,
>
> 1. for the next kde-cygwin 3.1.4 release I'm going to build a start script,
> which starts all required applications like ipc-daemon2, XWin and KDE basic
> apps and kills this processes after a logout, if they are started by the
> script. I like to build this script without any inferences especially to
> other XWin instances running on other displays, so I'm required to get the
> pid of the started XWin instance.
> I've search in the sources of the Xserver but, have not found any useable
> feature, so my question is, is there any way known to retrieve the pid of a
> started XWin instance or is there a possibility to shutdown the server by a
> xclient app ?
> If there is no such feature, what about adding a command line option to store
> the server pid in a file ?

Well, since you can shut down a server via a key combination or an API
call, it might be a good idea to write a small X app (xshutdown?  xkill?)
that would send a shut down message to the server running on a given
display...  It should be very easy to write -- unless someone gets to it,
I'll see if I can cook up something in the next couple of weeks.

> 2. The Xserver could be shutdowned by the Tray X icon or by the X in the Xwin
> windows title. I've read that Xwin now supports specific menu entry (I
> remember only that this was implemented, not more)
>
> I'm looking for a way to run a script for an controlled kde shutdown after
> triggering a server shutdown but before the xserver shutdown is performed.
>
> Unfortunally I haven't found and doc about this in the xfree docs neither I
> found any usefull thread with an overview of this feature for evaluating a
> possible implementation, so my question is if anone can give me a pointer to
> some docs.

Wouldn't X either send a HUP signal or a shutdown event of some sort to
all X apps running on that display?  If not, could it?

> 3. run.exe does not support space in path. I've search for any sources, but
> haven't  found anyone only the binary seems to available in startup-scripts
> package. So my question is, if this could be fixed ?
>
> Ralf

<http://neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/run/>

FWIW, you should be able to use the 'setsid' command (in the 'setsid'
package) or a 'disown' bash builtin to achieve similar effect.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu