Re: problems with libX11.a

Mark,

Thanks, those instructions work until it gets to the 'nbreaker' demo:

Linking /home/harold/x-devel/ports/MicroWindows/build/src/bin/launcher ...
Updating dependencies in /home/harold/x-devel/ports/MicroWindows/build/src/demos
/nbreaker ...
Compiling animate.c ...
In file included from animate.c:41:
nbreaker.h:160: error: syntax error before "GR_PIXMAP_ID"
nbreaker.h:160: warning: no semicolon at end of struct or union
nbreaker.h:161: warning: type defaults to `int' in declaration of `a'
nbreaker.h:161: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
nbreaker.h:171: error: syntax error before '}' token

Seems that GR_PIXMAP_ID is not defined in the included headers. Can you describe how you worked through this?

Harold

Mark Mussetter wrote:

Hi Harold,

Thanks for your help. We were able to get MicroWindows running after you pointed us in the right direction. We already had the Xfree86-prog package but you comments about trying to link explicitly to libX11.a led us to the problem. The following is a clip from Makefile.rules:

ifeq ($(X11), Y)
DEFINES += -DX11=1
ifneq ($(ARCH),CYGWIN)
# Cygwin can't use this - the -lX11 needs to be specified
# *after* the object files that use it, but this inserts
# it at the start.  For Cygwin, we will add libX11.a to the
# library list instead.
LDFLAGS += -L/usr/X11R6/lib -lX11
else
MW_CORE_LIBS += /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.dll.a
endif
ifeq ($(ARCH),FREEBSD-X86)
INCLUDEDIRS += -I/usr/X11R6/include
endif
ifeq ($(ARCH),CYGWIN)
INCLUDEDIRS += -I/usr/X11R6/include
endif
endif

We changed the 10th line to its current state. It used to say "MW_CORE_LIBS += /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.a"

Once we made that change everything else fell into place and we were able to run the demos.

My steps were:
1. cd microwin/src

2. Typed "cp Configs/config.cygwin config" for the cygwin configuration.

See CONTENTS and Configs/README for more information.

3. Typed "make"

4. Change the Makefile.rules file to link against libX11.dll.a instead of libX11.a

5. Typed "make"

4. Ran ./demo.sh

Thanks again for your help,