Re: Proper attribution of patches

David Dawes wrote:

On Tue, Dec 23, 2003 at 01:25:52PM -0500, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

The following CVS commit, made by Thomas Dickey, has no indication that Thomas was either a) not involved at all in the patch or b) that Thomas found Ralf Habacker's patch and committed a modified version of that patch.

The CVS log message says:
   fixes for _XtInherit on cygwin.

The hw/xfree86/CHANGELOG files says:
    XFree86 4.3.99.903 (xx December 2003)
    + 699. Fixes to build/run on cygwin (Thomas Dickey).

I know that this patch was based at least in part (if not entirely) on Ralf Habacker's patch for the same, since it includes a more than twenty line comment from Ralf along with his name at the bottom:

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/xc/lib/Xt/Initialize.c.diff?r1=3.21&r2=3.22&f=h

Given the fact that XFree86 has shown little support for Cygwin in the past coupled with the fact that Cygwin/X is no longer associated with XFree86, I request that you take care to properly attribute patches from members of the Cygwin/X community.

The only thing I have to add to this long thread is that I am
confident that you will naturally take care to ensure that correct
individual attributions will be made in the Cygwin changelog
(wherever that may be maintained) for all changes that end up in
your source tree either via direct integration or the import of
XFree86 snapshots.

I'll do my part, as always.