From: Harold L Hunt II [mailto:huntharo@msu.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, December 17, 2003 9:17 PM
To: Welson Sun
Subject: Re: Remote open X application

Welson,

Let's keep this discussion on the mailing list for others to see.

Welson Sun wrote:

> Hi Harold,
>
> I am sorry that I don't use IRC, but I use MSN (welson_sun@hotmail.com).
> Maybe it is a good idea to use IRC, I just finished all my finals so I
> have some time to figure this out. :-)
>
> Yeah, you are right. After I logged on to the remote host, I will set
> the DISPLAY variable to be 127.0.0.1:0.0, it worked on some Linux
> machines, but not all. So I think this maybe a problem with the Linux sshd
configuration.

You are not supposed to do that.  ssh works by redirecting your X apps to
point to a local screen that sshd is listening on.  If the DISPLAY variable
is unset when you login to the remote machine, then it means that the remote
machine is not properly configured for ssh X tunnelling.
  If it is set, then leave it alone and try running an app... it should work
fine.  That is what I meant when I said to follow the instructions on the
web page; I didn't leave out any steps, which means that I don't want you to
add any steps that I didn't mention.  Please try that and report your
results to the list.

> BTW, what IRC program do you recommend?

I use Mozilla's IRC program called Chatzilla.