Re: Slow performance over VPN/cable modem

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Bruce A. Hamilton wrote:

> At 06:25 AM 11/22/2003, you wrote:
> >Bruce A. Hamilton wrote:
> >
> >>XP Pro SP1, Pentium 2.66 GHz, 1 GB memory.
> >>I am running the latest cygwin including XFree86 4.3.0.
> >>
> >>Thanks for any suggestions. I'm quite sure this in an X issue. Wasn't MIT
> >>supposed to be working on "low-bandwidth X" years ago?
> >
> >Yes, they did and it's been available for a while now. You run the app
> >"lbxproxy" on the local end (home) set up to connect to your work server,
> >and then do a normal X connect to the local server connection that is
> >presented by lbxproxy.
> >
> >This assumes the normal case, that the remote server includes the LBX
> >server extension.
>
> Thanks, but I get the following error
>
>   % lbxproxy
>   _LBXPROXYTransmkdir: Owner of /tmp/.X11-unix should be set to root
>
> If I try to hack up a bogus root user by adding it to the cygwin
> /etc/passwd, then chown says
>
>   % chown root .X11-unix
>   chown: changing ownership of `.X11-unix': Invalid argument
>
> which is different than if I try to chown it to some non-existent user:
>
>   % chown foo .X11-unix
>   chown: `foo': invalid user
>
> ???

The bogus root user should nevertheless have a real SID (and a UID of 0).
I suggest copying the SYSTEM entry and changing the username to root and
UID to 0 and making sure it appears before the real SYSTEM entry in
/etc/passwd (note that this may present problems with some apps, notably
apache, that hardcode the SYSTEM UID as 18 on Cygwin).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu