Re: Slow performance over VPN/cable modem

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Bruce A. Hamilton wrote:

> XP Pro SP1, Pentium 2.66 GHz, 1 GB memory.
>
> I am running the latest cygwin including XFree86 4.3.0.
>
> Performance connecting to my workplace via VPN over cable modem is
> painfully slow, similar to what I used to see running X over dialup years
> ago. I'm running a local window manager fvwm2 then "ssh -X" to hosts at
> work via my local xterms.

Afair cable modems have a high latency.

> The app I'm most interested in is Veritas NetBackup 4.5 jnbSA, which is
> written in Java and not exactly speedy even at work, but at work we are
> talking a couple of seconds to refresh the screen, versus nearly a minute
> for the tiniest changes at home.

Does this application use Swing? If so then the slow performance is not a
problem of X11 but a design error of Java/Swing. All graphicsoperations in
Swing are localy drawn into a bitmap and the bitmap is then transferred to
the xserver. This is much more expensive than letting the xserver perform
the drawing operations.

> Thanks for any suggestions. I'm quite sure this in an X issue. Wasn't MIT
> supposed to be working on "low-bandwidth X" years ago?

They never thought of Java.

bye
	ago
--