Re: wmaker TIFF (actually libtiff4) problem

Takuma Murakami wrote:
I have tried to fix the wmaker problem but get stuck
since I don't know how to debug DLLs...

Although I don't know much about TIFF files, I ran tiffinfo on two systems. The target TIFF file is /usr/X11R6/share/WINGs/Images.tiff in cygwin WindowMaker distribution.

On the problematic cygwin (WindowMaker-0.80.2-1,
tiff-3.6.0-5) the output is:
TIFFReadDirectory: Warning, /usr/X11R6/share/WINGs/Images.tiff: unknown field wi
th tag 317 (0x13d) encountered.
Compression Scheme: LZW
Predictor: horizontal differencing 2 (0x2)

The 'Compression Scheme' field indicates LZW.
Is this relevant to the problem?

Yes. LZW support is not included in and has never been included in any cygwin distribution of libtiff. This is because LZW is patented by Unisys and they do not allow the algorithms to be used without royalty payments.

Now, the patent did expire in September 2003 in the US, but the patent is still valid in several other countries. Therefore, we STILL do not include LZW support in the binary distributions of libtiff.

(Of course, this makes me wonder: (a) there were reports that "this used to work -- or still works -- with cygtiff3. But THAT dll did not provide LZW support either. See below for random speculation. (b) Why is WindowMaker distributing TIFFs that cannot be read by free (as in speech) software without violating patents in some countries? Do they only care about the US? This is an issue that should be raised on the relevant WindowMaker lists)

IF you want to test this proposition, the tiff -src package distributed by cygwin provides the source code and instructions for rebuilding cygtiff4 wiht LZW for your own personal use, if you happen to live in a country where the UniSys patent has lapsed -- like the US -- or if you have purchased a license from UniSys.

Then you could see if rebuilding cygtiff4 WITH LZW fixes the problem. (Random speculation: perhaps the person who reported success by copying their cygtiff3 onto cygtiff4 did exactly that -- rebuilt cygtiff3 with LZW, but so long ago that they forgot. That would explain all of the reported behaviors...)

--
Chuck