security, cvs, was Re: interface bindings of x-server

Keith Packard wrote:
Around 2 o'clock on Nov 19, "roland@webde" wrote:

Keith, could you put this (being able to specify the interface bindings of
the xserver on the commandline) as a feature request on http://
www.freedesktop.org/Software/XserverWishlist if you find this feature
request useful ? i registerd a wiki account, but logging in doesn`t seem to
work for me.

I'd like to switch the server so that -nolisten tcp is the default; I don't see much sense in having it listen to even 127.0.0.1. But, if you wanted to make the list of IP addresses that the server bound to configurable, that seems like a good idea.

Yep - network transparency is all well & good, but do you really want something as complex as the X server sitting there with an open port to the world?

On a related issue, does anyone understand what the actual flaw in pserver CVS is that allowed the linux backdoor attempt? There's been a lot of talk about the implications of the attempt, but I haven't heard anyone come out and say "This is the fault in CVS, here's a patch, everything's ok now".

Is it foolhardy to continue running anoncvs, especially without the checks & balances which caught the backdoor attempt in linux?

Keith