Re: wmaker

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003, Lorenzo Travaglio wrote:

> > What message?  It should produce an xterm.
> No. the only message is "startxwin.bat - Starting on Windows 95/98/Me"
> fisplayed into a DOS console, and nothing more

Have you edited startxwin.bat?  Is there an X icon in the icon tray?
Please look at /tmp/XWin.log for errors.

Have you run it successfully as another user?  If so, you may need to
delete /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.

Harold,

we have this problem all the time.  One user logs in, uses X, logs out,
then the next user logs in and X won't start because they can't
delete/open /tmp/.X11-unix/X0.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Even if the second user has administrator privledges, the startxwin.bat
script can not delete the unix socket.  Only if the second user explicitly
does a chown to themselves can they/startxwin.bat delete the file.

> > X11 uses the loopback interface with IP address 127.0.0.1 and so need
> > "Internet" access.  This is normal.
> OK.
>
> > > The third one starts an X window but nothing more. After "X&" from bash,
> > > when I try to run "wmaker&" the answer is only an error.
> > >
> > What error?
> - wmaker fatal error. Could not open display "".
> Please note that there isn't $DISPLAY or $COMPUTERNAME or other sounds-like
> environment variables (like in my office's installation) and even if I try
> to set such variable nothing happens. I use all the batch files like
> provided by the installation. I've not modified them because I don't known
> what to do.

Yes, you need to set DISPLAY to something like :0.0 if you are going to
start X manually from bash.  If you use startxwin.bat, this will be taken
care of for you.

Please post the contents of /tmp/Xwin.log.  Thanks.

--
Brian Ford
Senior Realtime Software Engineer