Re: Define a foreign language keyboard in HP-Ux CDE, with theAltGrkey?

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Hans Dekker wrote:

> It is true what Franz says: applying another X-Window System Package
> maps the right keyboard (Spanish in my case).
>
> So, by logical thinking you may say that Xfree86 somehow gives a
> keyboard mapping to CDE that is different from what it should be.
>
> Unfortunately my time right now is restricted on the subject. Some time
> later I could dive into the problem and possibly the source code, so any
> comments that can help are welcome. There must be something simple I
> guess, because German keyboards (and other non-US keyboards) will suffer
> from the same problem.

Just a wild guess:

CDE uses an older X11 Release where ISO_Level3_Shift was still called
Mode_switch. I guess CDE changes the modmap and sets AltGr to a symbol
which is not recognized as Level3-Shift by the xserver.

You can start xev for debugging. If it is not available with CDE, you
can start a local xterm (from cygwin) after loggin into CDE and start
xev from the cygwin xterm.

bye
	ago
--