Re: XWin works on Win2K but not on some WinXP clients

Kirk,

Woellert, Kirk D. wrote:

I have a laptop with WinXP on it. I downloaded Cygwin, performed a default
installation, brought it into the office and just like the other WinXP boxes
all I get is the checkerboard screen. No login prompt.

Any chance that you could take it to another Linux box and test a login with that different machine? It would be nice to try to determine which end is having a problem.

In answer to earlier questions, Yes, I can SSH into the linux box using
either Cygwin or PuTTY.

Okay, so you can at least connect.

I have been assuming that all of these machines are on a LAN... is that the case? If there is a NAT (network address translation) box between your machine and the server, then you will be unable to connect to XDM, even if you can connect with ssh or other protocols. Please describe your setup a little bit.

If you have any network segments (NAT boxes, routers, etc.) please take the above laptop to the same segment that the W2K machines work on and try logging in from there.

Someone asked about log files for xdm. Did they mean on the linux box? If so
where do I find them. I looked in etc/X11 and didnt see anything.

Yes, the log files are on the machine that is running xdm/kdm/gdm, which is your Linux box in this case.

The log file location depends on how Red Hat does things... I haven't run it in a little while. I can tell you that the logs are most likely in /var/log. If you are running kdm, then the logs will probably be in /var/log/kdm.log. Also check for /var/log/xdm.errors.

You could also do a general check of /var/log/messages and /var/log/syslog for any error/security messages.

Finally, you need to run xdm/kdm/gdm (whichever one you are using, most likely kdm) in debug mode. Please see the following post from Alexander Gottwald for instructions on how to do this:

http://sources.redhat.com/ml/cygwin-xfree/2003-06/msg00364.html

The idea is to run xdm/kdm/gdm in debug mode, then try to connect from a working machine and observe the output on the Linux machine's console. Then, try to connect from a non-working machine and observe and compare the output on the Linux machine's console.

If you get no output from the failed connection attempt, then it tells us that there is most likely a network segment that you don't know about (remember, I don't know if you work in a 5 man shop or a 50,000 employee conglomerate). If you get an error message, then we will likely be able to translate it and tell you what the problem is. If you get identical output both times and no problems are indicated, then we are up a creek. :) Actually, in that case it would probably be a multiple network card issue on the WinXP machines that you have, or perhaps some VPN/firewall software on those machines (I know you said that the XP firewall was disabled).

Hope that helps, please report your results quickly so that we can get this fixed,