Re: Grabbing XFree86.org's xc/ tree using cvsup

Harold,

what you want to do is to create a special vendor branch on your
repository and import a *tagged* version of XFree86. This tagging makes
it really easy to import well defined versions and updates from these.
Of course you can mirror the XFree86 CVS on a regular basis. XFree86 is
running cvsup so this is really easy. However this repository can
only serve as a reference as any commits to it will be overwritten
when you do the next cvsup.
Actually you may want to start the repository by importing this vendor
branch. You should then tag each update of this branch with the same
tag that is used by XFree86. This branch together with the tag can be
used to keep other branches (including the trunk) in sync with the
vendor branch.
It should be decided what goes into which branch and the trunk.
You also may want to look at the CVS usage instructions the DRI
project has. They have rather sophisticated mechanisms to keep
the CVS in shape.

Egbert.