xmodmap has no effect on mouse buttons

I just installed the latest and greatest 10/29 Cygwin on my W2K machine,
and I'm having trouble with xmodmap.  I'm using a three-button mouse.
I'm trying to change the mouse buttons to be "1 3 2", but xmodmap seems
to have no effect.  Initially, the map looks like this:

% xmodmap -pp
There are 5 pointer buttons defined.

    Physical        Button
     Button          Code
        1              1
        2              2
        3              3
        4              4
        5              5

In xev, pressing each button in turn shows the events I would expect.  I
then run xmodmap, with an input file that looks like this:

pointer = 1 3 2 4 5

The buttons seem to get redefined correctly:

% xmodmap x
% xmodmap -pp
There are 5 pointer buttons defined.

    Physical        Button
     Button          Code
        1              1
        2              3
        3              2
        4              4
        5              5

And yet, the buttons still have the same effect as they did before, and
xev shows that the button presses are generating the same events as they
were before.  Further experimentation shows that no matter how I swap
around the input to xmodmap, the buttons always have the same effect.
Any ideas?

Server was started with:

start XWin -clipboard -multiwindow

Running local xmodmap or remote from linux has the same effect.

David Rudolph                             |      phone: (617) 621-7567
Mitsubishi Electric Research Labs         |      email: rudolph@merl.com