Re: partnership with the Xouvert project?

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003, David Fraser wrote:

> Harold L Hunt II wrote:

> > Jonathan Walther wrote:

> >> No action is required on your part, Xouvert is working on our first
> >> release which should be soon.  Like you, we are starting with XFree86
> >> 4.3 as our base.  We believe once you go through the arch tutorial, you
> >> also will be sold on it's benefits for projects like ours.
> >
> > I'm sure it has benefits, but it has to compile to be useful :)
> >
> > Waiting for status of arch on Cygwin report...
> >
> > Harold
> >
> Just googling, I haven't tried it since last year ...
> See this (very recent) thread:
>  http://mail.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2003-10/msg00437.html
> It seems it works, with some limitations, which may/may not be
> addressable from Cygwin's side.
> BTW, arch is quite different in structure from CVS, so it's worth
> reading just a little bit about the architecture - I think it's a great idea

Hi Harold.

I've just subscribed to the list to tell you the same thing about arch and
xouvert. Some small problems have arisen using arch in cygwin and there
was a consensus that changes needed to be applied to cygwin to have a nice
and full support. The problems were related to path lengths and, maybe,
you could help us with this issue. It would be a nice initial cooperation.

The problems with changing path structure in arch archives is backwards
compatibility, nothing else. Maybe if you subscribed to the list we could
have a formal discussion and see what remains to be done in arch or cygwin
to make it usable for you.

Keep up the good work!
Pau