Re: http://lesstif.sourceforge.net/INSTALL.html#compile_Windows

Brian,

Sounds like we are going to have more trouble with Xt and LessTif. Torrey Lyons sent me a great description of the problem on OS X (I believe I forwarded it to the list). It boils down to Xt having some unresolved symobls that we resolve at link time by linking to ICE and SM (these libraries provide the default functions). However, other libraries are supposed to be able to override these functions with their own implementations, which the linker is expected to figure out. As we all know, DLLs cannot have unresolved symbols, thus this functionality is lost. We would need to provide an alternative to this behavior or attempt to modify the linker to provide this functionality.

In the meantime this means that the shared build of Xt doesn't work. This is probably causing some of the weird problems people have noticed with keyboard focus. This also explains why some types of LessTif apps don't work anymore.

We should probably revert to a static Xt and LessTif for the time being. I know, this is not desireable, but it is probably going to take months for this to be fixed and we can't have broken libs and apps for the duration.

Thoughts?

Harold