Re: Enabling cygwin.rules/SharedLibFont

Alexander,

I got this to work by modifying our SharedXfontReqs in xc/config/cf/cygwin.tmpl as follows:

#define SharedXfontReqs $(LDPRELIB) $(FONTSTUBLIB) GzipLibrary \ $(FREETYPE2LIB)

I then rebuilt all clients, but it looks like only 'luit', 'xfs', 'mkfontscale', and the servers depend on the Xfont lib. Neither of 'luit' or 'xfs' seem to work on Cygwin. 'mkfontscale' works, right? But the servers don't link to the shared Xfont lib unless you define XserverStaticFontLib as YES.

I did a build of the servers with XserverStaticFontLib set to YES. XWin.exe crashed on startup and I didn't look into it any further.

Also, when SharedLibFont is YES, both the shared and static versions get built, since the servers need the static version by default and don't seem to work with the shared version.

This all gets down to one question: does it make any sense and is there any benefit to building a shared Xfont lib? I can't see any good reasons for it. Well, the one good reason is that the size of XWin.exe drops by about 600 KiB, but that is about it.

Please send you input,

Harold

Alexander Gottwald wrote:
Harold L Hunt II wrote:

gcc -shared -Wl,--out-implib=libXfont-1.dll.a -Wl,--enable-auto-import
--def Xfont.def -Wl,--exclude-libs,ALL -o cygXfont-1.dll bitmap/?*.o
fontfile/?*.o fc/?*.o fontcache/?*.o  Speedo/?*.o Type1/?*.o
 FreeType/?*.o util/?*.o

No libs. I think -lXp -lX11 -lXext -lz -lfreetype will help.

NP: JBO - Meister der Musik (Teil 2)