Re: X in 8 bit mode - Perfomancetroubles

I think the best 8-bit performance will result if you "downshift" the Windows desktop to 256 colors and run XWin in windowed mode, which will allow it to use the DirectDraw engine.

From: Harald Pollak <h.pollak@pke.at>
To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
Subject: X in 8 bit mode - Perfomancetroubles
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 10:48:32 +0200

Hy!
Im  using Cygwin XFree on a Acer Travelmate 634lci with Windows XP (
Color 32 bit )
my Application running on OpenVMS.

I have to use 8 Bit Colormode for correct display.

When i start X with the command:

X -ac -fullscreen -depth 8 &

The display is ok, but the perfomane is unuseabel.

When i use :

X -ac -fullscreen -emulatepseudo &

Then the Applicationdisplay isn't working correct.

Does anyone have a idea how I can use 8bit-colored Application with good
performace on

Cygwin Xwin

I'm sure anybody outthere has an solution for my problem, so let me
know.

Thanks & best regards

Harry

Enjoy MSN 8 patented spam control and more with MSN 8 Dial-up Internet Service. Try it FREE for one month! http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/dialup