Tight loop in Xwin startup under Win2k

I'm using Windows 2000 on a Dell C-600 laptop.

After upgrading from 1.3 to 1.5 I've stared having my X startup go into
a tight loop.  This loop is so tight that I can not get the attention of
the task manager or really do anything else except power-cycle the
system.  I've tried running a Cygwin bash shell w/o X and can not get
any response out of that either.

I can exit Xwin, but whatever is looping keep running.

I'm using a derivative of the .xinitrc that I use on Linux and BSD which
starts fvwm2 a xterms with tcshs and an emacs and a bunch of programs to
figure out what to start and where.  I've pretty much disabled starting
of any remote programs.

Anyone have any ideas here?

Thanks.

Jeff