Re: X11, Tcl and Tk for Windows

Hi Mark,

Mark Horn <mark.horn@csiro.au> writes:
> I am looking for Tcl/Tk v8.0 and a compatible version of Xlib, for a
> port of an application developed originally for a Unix platform.

You may want to discuss Tcl/Tk issues on comp.lang.tcl.  There are
much more people with specific Tcl/Tk knowledge there.

>    _pint = Tcl_CreateInterp();
>    Tcl_Init (_pint);
>    _tk_mainwin = Tk_MainWindow (_pint);
>    _pdisp= Tk_Display (_tk_mainwin);
>    int idc = DefaultColormap (_pdisp, 0); // Failure here, or in
>    subsequent call to XParseColor ()

> I have also tried linking with libraries tcl84.lib , tk84.lib from
> the Tcl/Tk distribution at http://www.tcl.tk/software/ includes.
> but in that case I get a failure in the call to Tcl_Init.

Which error?  If Tcl_Init() returns an error, that can be a
configuration error in the Tcl/Tk installation or an error in the
calling sequence.  I remember that it is important to call
Tcl_FindExecutable(), especially on Windows.

There have been significant changes in Tcl/Tk from 8.0 to 8.1 (most
importantly the switch to Unicode), so using a more recent version may
complicate matters.  You may instead want to use the version 8.0.5
from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=10894.
That page has source as well as native Windows Tcl versions.

The native Windows version of Tk has some X11 emulation built-in for
it's own use, so you may want to try to use that first.  If that X11
emulation isn't enough for you, you can compile your own 8.0 Cygwin
Tcl/Tk and run that under Cygwin-XFree86, there is no reason that that
couldn't work.

benny