xdvi "Signal 11" failure

Up to date with everything, W98/SE, massive upgrade to tet*/tex*2-12* this
morning: I now find a re-occurrence of an earlier problem, which is that

    xdvi a4.dvi

returns the message

    Signal 11

rather than previewing a well-tested and unaltered a4 page of maths. This,
following

    start XWin -multiwindow
    run rxvt -display localhost:0.0 -e bash

Something I've forgotten to do?

By the way, because it was convenient, I also installed the *2-12*src* files
under /usr/src/. There were very many occurrences of the warning messages

    warning: moving directory "xxxx" out of the way
    warning: deleting "yyyy" so I can make a directory there

(Not that this interferes with the utility of any programs.)

Fergus