Re: [bug] configs overwrote

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking. Somebody please send a patch.

Harold

Dr.D.J.Picton wrote:

To: cygwin-xfree@cygwin.com
From: Krzysztof Dulêba <krzysan@skrzynka.pl>
Subject: [bug] configs overwrote
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:14:24 +0200

I know I may be not precise enough, but I haven't used X-Window for few
months and I don't know what and how had actually happened. However, I see
the result: my xinitrc file was overwrote during some installation.

It's important to remember that setup will update packages automatically,
unless you explicitly prevent it from doing so!   All the X11 packages have
been updated recently.

It's a bit of a pain so I have a remark: why don't post-install scripts make a
backup, or just ask Overwrite [y/n]?

I think that the ideal solution would be for post-install scripts to make
backup copies. I avoi the problem by manually creating backup copies
of all locally-modified scripts before running setup; for example, the
customized version of startxwin.bat is copied to startxwin.bat.local and a
copy of the original is kept in startxwin.bat.orig. This makes it easy to
keep track of the changes which I've made and to incorporate them into a new version of the script.