Re: blue screen death when starting X

"Supreme Commander" <fluid_ops@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:<Law9-F71IC3HC41ebBI0005673f@hotmail.com>...
> Hi
> I wanted a UNIX environment in WinXP, so I downloaded Cygwin, full
package.
> In order to run Emacs in a window of my own, I was recommended to
start a
> program "usr/X11R6/bin/startxwin.sh". Unfortunately, this results in a

> blue-screen-of-death; the immediate shutdown of the system. Is this a
bug
> (..in cygwin)?

Don't know on this one.  Send in the log, if one is generated.

> Even though I run RedHat, I am quite new to Linux/Unix, so I am afraid
> need detailed help if possible. What I want to accomplish is as
follows:

> Run Emacs in a interactive window (where I can use mouse on the
'file',
> 'edit'.. -menus) This I could not with the emacs started in the cygwin

> terminal window (GNU Emacs 21.2.1 (i686-pc-cygwin, X toolkit))
>
> Write Fortran programs in Emacs, with the color-aid provided in i.e
RedHat.
> Example: writing "integer i" will colorcode keyword "integer", and
also
> variable 'i'.

You don't need X for any of this.  Get the native NT/XP version of emacs
or xemacs.  Then you avoid the cut/paste issues with X/windows/emacs
selection.

> Compile this to a UNIX excecutable program.

But..you want to create a UNIX executable?  Do you mean cygwin?  Or are
you trying to cross-compile to Linux?

Cary