Re: First pass at script to build start menu icons

Brian,

Couple of things:

1) It seems that we are going to need to somehow get cygwin1.dll in the path of the shortcuts. One way to do this would be to set the working dir for each shortcut to '/bin'. I don't trust 99% of users to understand how to set a path variable so that it remains set in Windows, so this is going to have to be the default. We could, of course, provide a means to override the working directory.

2) Terminal programs run and exit. Its like doing Start->Run->ipconfig. The console pops up, lists its output, then is promptly destroyed. I seem to recall an xterm option that caused it to remain open until closed manually, but I cannot remember it now.

3) xterm.exe doesn't appear to contain an icon at offset 0. No icon is displayed on my machine.

4) The last section of a line in icon-list is supposed to be for arguments, but you don't have an example of how the arguments are to be escaped. I tried a few ideas I had to pass some args to xterm, but none of them worked. Additionally, it doesn't look like the args are actually passed. Am I missing something? Is this functionality not yet implemented?

5) All things DPS are busted on Cygwin/XFree86 because we don't have the DPS extension. I should probably turn off building of them... but they could still be used to display on a remote X Server, I think. In any case, icons for the DPS-related programs are probably useless. Do you agree that they should probably be removed?

Thanks again for contributing,

Harold

Brian E. Gallew wrote:
OK, here's a better set. It actually sets the right icons and deals correctly with having symlinked programs without the trailing .exe.

# Yo! Emacs! Edit this in -*- shell-script -*- mode!

# This is the root for the icon creation.
TOPFOLDER="$(cygpath -A -P)/Cygwin-XFree86"

#format of an entry here:
#executable name:Description:sub-folder:which function to call:icon offset:arguments
#If the sub-folder is empty, then the icon will be placed in $TOPFOLDER
#the "function to call" should be either xapp or tapp
#If the program provides its own icon in the executable, this is the offset for it (0 based)
#The arguments (if any) will be appended to the command.
X11proggies=(
bitmap:"Bitmap Editor"::xapp::
dpsexec:"Display PostScript command interface":Tools:tapp::
dpsinfo:"The Display PostScript extension":Information:tapp::
editres:"Xaw resource editor":Tools:xapp::
fc-list:"List available FreeType fonts":Information:tapp::
glxgears:"Gear Demo":Toys:xapp::
glxinfo:"GLX information":Information:tapp::
ico:"Bouncing Icosohedron":Toys:xapp::
oclock:"Shaped Clock"::xapp::
showrgb:"List rgb database":Information:tapp::
texteroids:"DPS demo asteroids game":Games:xapp::
viewres:"Xaw resource viewer":Tools:xapp::
vncviewer:"VNC viewer client"::xapp::
wmagnify:"magnifying glass":Tools:xapp::
xbiff:"mail checker"::xapp::
xcalc:"Calculator"::xapp::
xclock:"Clock"::xapp::
xconsole:"Console":Tools:xapp::
xcutsel:"Clipboard manipulator":Tools:xapp::
xditview:"Ditroff output viewer"::xapp::
xdpyinfo:"Display information":Information:tapp::
xdvi:"DVI viewer"::xapp::
xedit:"Simple file editor":Editors:xapp::
xev:"X11 event debugger":Tools:xapp::
xeyes:"Watches the Mouse":Toys:xapp::
xfontsel:"Pick a font":Tools:tapp::
xfsinfo:"The font server":Information:tapp::
xgc:"X11 demo":Toys:xapp::
xkill:"Kill an X11 window":Tools:xapp::
xlogo:"Display the X11 logo":Toys:xapp::
xlsatoms:"List available atoms":Information:tapp::
xlsclients:"List all connected clients":Information:tapp::
xlsfonts:"List all available fonts":Information:tapp::
xmag:"Magnifying glass":Tools:xapp::
xman:"Manual page reader"::xapp::
xmh:"GUI for the MH mail system"::xapp::
xprop:"Display the propertis of a window":Information:tapp::
xrefresh:"Refresh all X11 clients":Tools:xapp::
xterm:"X Terminal"::xapp:0:
xtrapinfo:"The TRAP extension":Information:tapp::
xvinfo:"The X-Video Extension":Information:tapp::
xwd:"Dump X11 window image to file":Tools:tapp::
xwininfo:"A single window":Information:tapp::
gvim:"GUI for VIM":Editors:xapp::
emacs:"Emacs":Editors:xapp::
xemacs:"XEmacs":Editors:xapp:0:
idle:"Python IDE":Tools:xapp::
rxvt:"RXVT"::xapp:0:
)

#! /bin/bash
# Author: Brian Gallew <geek+@cmu.edu>

# This next line defines TOPFOLDER and X11proggies
. /etc/X11/icon-list

#Ensure that a given program is somewhere in the current $PATH
function checkpath () {
    c=$(which $1 2> /dev/null)
    test ! -z "$c"
}

#Make sure the program we *think* we're pointing to is the real deal.
function canonicalize () {
    a=$(which "$1")
    while test -h "$a"
    do
	set $(ls -l "$a")
	while test ! -z "$2";do shift;done
	a=$(dirname "$a")/"$1"
    done
    test -f "$a".exe && echo "$a".exe || echo "$a"
}

# Create a shortcut for an application that draws its own windows
# Takes four or five arguments: appname, description folder, the
# offset of the icon , and any arguments

function xapp () {
    app="$1"
    shift
    description="$1"
    shift
    folder="${TOPFOLDER}/$1"
    shift
    if [ -z "$1" ]
    then
	icon="--icon=/usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe"
	ioff="--iconoffset=2"
    else
	icon=--icon=$(canonicalize "$app")
	ioff="--iconoffset=$2"
    fi
    shift
    test -d "${folder}" || mkdir -p "${folder}"
    mkshortcut "${icon}" "${ioff}" --arguments=${app}\ -display\ :0\ "$@" \
	--name="${folder}/${description}" \
	--workingdir="${HOME}" /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe
}

# Create a shortcut for a text-output-only application
function tapp () {
    app="$1"
    shift
    description="$1"
    shift
    folder="${TOPFOLDER}/$1"
    shift
    test -d "${folder}" || mkdir -p "${folder}"
    mkshortcut --arguments=xterm\ -display\ :0\ -e\ sh\ -c\ \"${app}\ -display\ :0\ "$@"\ "| less"\" \
	--name="${folder}/${description}" --icon=/cygwin.ico \
	--workingdir="${HOME}" /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe
    test $? -eq 0 && return
    echo $app:$description:$folder::
}

function create_icons () {
    for index in $(seq 0 ${#X11proggies[*]})
    do
	a=${X11proggies[$index]}
	test -z "$a" && continue
	# This next line breaks up the elements and set $1..$6 appropriately
	IFS=":";set $a;unset IFS
	checkpath $1
	test $? -eq 0 || continue
	case $4 in
	xapp)
	    xapp $1 "$2" "$3" $5 $6
	    ;;
	tapp)
	    tapp $1 "$2" "$3" $6
	    ;;
	*)
	    echo `hosed!`
	    echo $*
	esac
    done
}

function destroy_icons () {
for index in $(seq 0 ${#X11proggies[*]})
do
a=${X11proggies[$index]}
test -z "$a" && continue
# This next line breaks up the elements and set $1..$6 appropriately
IFS=":";set $a;unset IFS
icon="${TOPFOLDER}/${3}/${2}.lnk"
test -f "${icon}" && \rm -f "${icon}"
done
find "${TOPFOLDER}" -depth -type d -exec rmdir -v --ignore-fail-on-non-empty "{}" \; }

function usage () {
    cat >&2 <<EOF
Usage: $0 [-d]

Without any switches, this will recreate the defined icon set.  The
"-d" switch indicates that all the icons should be removed.  If, after
the icons are removed, any of the folders are empty, they, too, will
be removed.
EOF
    exit -1
}