Re: rfe: seamless windows integration

Brian E. Gallew wrote:

Christopher Faylor wrote:

However, I don't see why this would require any setup changes.  A
postinstall script should be able to set up icons, etc.  I can't decide
if the thought of a folder filled with scores of icons for X programs is
intriguing or frightening, though.

First, create a folder in the Programs section of your Start Menu named "Cygwin-XFree86". Then, the following script will produce working links, BUT it's not what you want.

cd /usr/X11R6/bin
for d in *.exe
do
 mkshortcut -P --icon=/cygwin.ico \
  --arguments="$d -display :0" \
  --name=Cygwin-XFree86/$(basename $d .exe) \
  --workingdir=$HOME /usr/X11R6/bin/run.exe
done

This skips any shell scripts, which is (usually) what you want. Unfortunately, there are a lot of programs in that directory which really want a terminal (e.g. xdpyinfo). Further, there are programs in there that don't belong here like this (e.g. Xwin.exe).

So, to do this *right*, we'd need a couple things:
1) A canonical hierarchy structure (e.g. Start Menu/Program/Cygwin/XFree86)
2) A script which defines two shortcut functions (or more?), one like the above shortcut for "real" X11 programs, and one which appends "|xterm -e more" to the commands
3) Someone to take the time to carefully pick and choose which kind of shortcut (if any!) gets generated for each application.

The up side of this is, if implemented, we could then ask other package maintainers to add an appropriate shortcut for their X-enabled application (e.g. emacs, vim). I wouldn't ask that of the GNOME or KDE port, though, as they already have menu setups that work.

Brian,

Interesting idea. Probably the easiest thing to do here would be to either create a list of 'term' programs or 'non-term' programs along with a list of excluded programs. Of course, we would want to figure out which list, 'term' or 'non-term', was going to be shortest before deciding which to make.

To skirt the setup "Create Cygwin/XFree86 icons?" step, we could simply stuff the above lists and a modified version of your script in a new package called, for example, XFree86-start-menu-icons-4.3.0-1.tar.bz2.

What do you think of that?

I think this would work just fine as a sort of confirmation that the user wants start menu icons. We could leave the package out of the XFree86-base dependency list, so only those users that really wanted the icons would end up getting them.

Sure, it would be nice to eventually add a setup question, but doing the above first would at least demonstrate to the setup folks that we actually have something completed.