Re: rfe: seamless windows integration

Howdy Harold,

At 10:36 PM 8/4/2003 -0400, you wrote:
Thanks. Let me tell you, we already have a laundry list of dream features. We just need people to start working on them.

There sure are a lot of managers and architects around here recently. ;)

In any case, since it's been a couple years since I did any parser work,
I've hacked out a flex/bison parser for a generic extensible xwin.rc format,
and gotten all the info stuffed into a reasonably simple structure, now
all I need to do is crawl the structure and do CreateMenu()/AddMenuItem()
accordingly and LoadIcon(), and when creating windows compare the class
name to the ones in the prefs structure and possibly replace icon and/or
add to the system menu of that window.

I'm attaching a tar.bz2 below, give it a look-see whoever's interested
in the whole customizable menus thing, and if you want to integrate the
prefs structure parser let me know.  The file format's simple and
explained in the input.rc, and has support for pretty much all that
XWin.exe can do now as far as customizations.  [ Sure, you could add
an ALPHA {} block that would change the alpha-blend of windows under
Win2K and XP, but I'm not sure how really useful that would be.  Maybe
a PaletteWindow style, though, for xload or xcalc... ]

For me the most interesting part was getting back up to speed on lex/yacc,
the implementing in the server is reasonably "plug-n-chug" as my physics
prof used to say.

Harold, if this is something you don't like for XWin just let me know...

-Earle F. Philhower, III
 earle@ziplabel.com
 cdrlabel - ZipLabel - FlpLabel
 http://www.cdrlabel.com