Re: request for new feature

Alexander Gottwald wrote:

On Mon, 4 Aug 2003, Harold L Hunt II wrote:

   /* we must build this string with information about mount points */
   const char* command = "c:\\cygwin\\usr\\x11r6\\xterm.exe -display :0.0";

That line and comment are really the crux of my whole argument. It is simple to spawn a process. It is not necessarily so simple to use a non-hardcoded path to the executables

The code from cygpath has a conversion unix_path->windows_path.

No, I mean we have to find the path that XWin.exe was started from so that we can find xterm. We can't just hardcode c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\bin.

, nor is it so easy to ensure that zombie consoles are not created in the process.

They'll die when the xserver kills the connection. Otoh there are a lot of
options (esp. the PROCESS_GROUP things) which control such process inheritance.

That's not what I meant. What I meant was we don't want 10 little console windows, one for each of the xterms that we started up. Thus, we may either need to call 'run.exe', or we may need to do what 'run.exe' does internally.

In any case, I appreciate that you at least have given others something to start with.

Lets see if someone builds these (in my opinion useless) things.

I think that having a non-hardcoded path and no useless console windows are essential. I wouldn't distribute a version that didn't have those two things.