Re: 'Wrong' dll names in 4.3.0-1 packages -> breaks all 3rd partyX apps

On Sat, Aug 02, 2003 at 04:24:30AM +0200, Ton van Overbeek wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> That's interesting.  What third party apps would be specifically linking
>> to cygwin-xfree DLLs?
>Examples: gs.exe (ghostscript), xdvi.exe (from TeTeX), fvwm etc.

Ok.  I think your use of the term "third party" is incorrect in this case,
then.

>Harold Hunt wrote:
>> No. Older X apps will need to be recompiled for 4.3.0. This is a change
>> that needed to happen. In the meantime, you can keep the old DLLs in the
>> same directory and it will allow older X apps to run side by side with
>> new X apps.
>
>Understood. But when you upgrade via setup.exe the old dll's are removed.
>Maybe we need a separate lib package with the 4.2 libraries for the old
>apps. There is no way to get both the old and new dll's installed
>simultaneously using setup.exe.

Hmm.  If these packages are built against cygwin-1.5.1, they should be
marked as test packages.  It doesn't look like they are.

Am I missing something, Harold?
--
Please use the resources at cygwin.com rather than sending personal email.
Special for spam email harvesters: send email to aaaspam@sourceware.org