Win2k Telnet Server login issues (no XDM so gotta use something)

Greetings:

X-terminals will need to connect to the Win2k box using something
other than XDM (until it works) so one must consider telnet or
rsh.  The native windows telnet daemon is supposed to set
environment vars HOMEDRIVE and HOMEPATH which can then be used
by the system login script %SYSTEMROOT%\SYSTEM32\LOGIN.CMD however
in my tests they are not set for any user although the var
USERNAME is.

One could easily write a script to search \cygwin\etc\passwd
or otherwise use the USERNAME var to determine user specific
paths, etc. but I'd like the native facility to work first.

A search of Usenet archives shows this to be a problem in an
addon package for NT4 but I didn't find any reference to the
problem in Win2k.

Anyone else encountered this?

Michael Grigoni
Cybertheque Museum