Re: Running OpenOffice from Linux server to Win98 workstations

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Dave Burch wrote:

> Greetings. I am a consultant to a small school in need of a IT overhaul. I
> have some HP-UX experience, but am new to the Linux world (like most people,
> I guess).
>
> We are trying to extend the life of a bunch of Pentium/Windows 98
> workstations with 32 mB RAM by replacing Microsoft Office with OpenOffice
> (or StarOffice, free since my client is a school). Since 64mB RAM is the
> nominal requirement, I'm wondering if I can make better use of the meager
> desktop hardware by running OpenOffice on the Linux server and displaying it
> on the desktops using the Windows version of XFree86.
>
> 1. Would this configuration work?

I should work.

> 2. Would it perform better on 32mB workstations than running OpenOffice
> locally?

With low memory you will have a always swapping computer. This is very slow.
Over a 10Mbit or better 100Mbit network, you can work remote with only little
latency than worting on the linux host.

> 3. Would I need to use Linux Terminal Services?

The userguide should help you with this:
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-session.html
http://xfree86.cygwin.com/docs/ug/using-remote-apps.html

bye
	ago