Re: XWin on non-system partition

Gerald,

Personally, I would have put Cygwin in d:\cygwin, not d:\... but that is a personal choice. Using d:\cygwin means that you won't have to modify startxwin.bat, if that is your startup method of choice.

Your problem with the fonts directory is due to an explicit binary-mode mount that we use for the fonts directory. Your previous installation of Cygwin/XFree86 left over this mount point that points at c:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\.

You can use 'umount' and 'mount' to remove this mount and recreate it, or you can use 'regedit' to manually edit the mount point, which may be easier for you... but I am not about to describe how to do it (only chose this option if you feel you can handle it).

Hope that helps,

Harold

Gerald Pekmezi wrote:
Thanks in advance for any help.

I had the "bright" idea to dedicate a whole partition to Cygwin (D:\usr,
D:bin etc.).
Now XWin refuses to run. I initially assumed I was missing something simple
like setting an environment variable, and posted to the main cygwin group.

I have since come to believe this is an X problem after all and will add a
post
here.
It seems that during my cygwin installation everything was installed in D:
(D:\usr, D:\bin etc), except for usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts. which was instead
installed as C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts . When I restore the latter
XWin will run however it refuses to do so if
C:\cygwin\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\fonts does not exist. I did add the font
directory to D:\usr\X11R6\lib\X11\, but it did not make a difference.

Am I creating more trouble than it is worth by installing in D:\ rather than
C:\cygwin?