Re: X server acting funny when displaying remote KDE session

 --- Alexander Gottwald
<alexander.gottwald@s1999.tu-chemnitz.de> schrieb:
[...]
> please try xev. This program logs all X11 events and
> keypresses.

I tried it locally without any remote connection or KDE. It
didn't log the keystroke event but simply echoed the typed
character to the screen. An it shows the desired umlauts! The
dead keys work as expected, but the special characters you
can reach through the right Alt key are completely wrong (wrt
to the Microsoft implementation). For example the ñ is Alt-q
instead of Alt-n where it would belong. We're getting nearer
though.

The same happened when I contacted the remote machine through
ssh and started xev there. (I have to add that I have
upgraded the X package on the Linux box to 4.2.1 in the
meantime because 4.1.0 had problems with my graphics card.
The cygwin installation however is unchanged).

And after starting KDE, i find that (using Kedit) I can type
umlauts using the " dead key, but not using the right Alt key
(it is not doing anything). Upgrading X on the Linux box
definitely changed this.

So it seems to me that there are 2 problems left.

o  The key table for the combinations using the right ALT key
is wrong. (Apparently both under cygwin and Linux).

o  KDE doesn't understand the right ALT key properly.

We're getting closer...

Thanks a lot for your help so far!

Cheers
Stefan