Re: xwinclip/-clipboard - Development on no selection stealing version

[Sorry in advance for the formatting, my mail server is down, I have to hand-reply this one from the mailing list web archive.]

David,

Your information was precisely what I needed! Thanks so much.

I am working on checking in an XFIXES_BRANCH right now... though I may not get done in the 15 minutes before I leave to go home for the night.

Basically just say cvs tag -b XFIFES_BRANCH on a tree you've checked out (so far unchanged). Then say cvs update -r XFIFES_BRANCH so that it marks the code as using that branch (for future commits). Then do all the changes (you could do this by making a diff from your existing work and use patch to apply it to this tree), and commits will go onto the branch. Others can get them by doing cvs update -r XFIFES_BRANCH.

From the cvs man page:
Say you have been working on some extremely experimental software, based on whatever revision you happened to checkout last week. If others in your group would like to work on this software with you, but without disturbing main-line development, you could commit your change to a new branch. Others can then checkout your experimental stuff and utilize the full benefit of cvs conflict resolution. The scenario might look like:

                       example% cvs tag -b EXPR1
                       example% cvs update -rEXPR1
                       [[ hack away ]]
                       example% cvs commit

Others would simply do `cvs checkout -rEXPR1 whatever_module' to work with you on the experimental change.

Hope that helps
David