Re: Packaging questions.

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003, Joakim Erdfelt wrote:

> While in the process of making a new package for fvwm v2.4.16
>
> http://joakim.erdfelt.net/cygwin/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.16-2.tar.bz2
> http://joakim.erdfelt.net/cygwin/fvwm/fvwm-2.4.16-2-src.tar.bz2
> http://joakim.erdfelt.net/cygwin/fvwm/setup.hint
>
> I discovered that the sample fvwm2rc file expects directories
> and xpm files which do not exist in cygwin.
>
> Would it be appropriate to include those directories and xpm's
> in the fvwm tarball?  or would should I modify the sample fvwm2rc
> to be more cygwin appropriate.
>
> I don't know if that is appropriate, since i feel that the package
> for fvwm should be a faithful to the original package as possible.
>
> Should a fvwm-cygwin add-on be created that supplements fvwm?
> But then we enter into a time where we maintain a pixmap/icon
> directory.  If we are doing that, shouldn't we consider a standalone
> XFree-icons like package where all icon/xpms are added for the various
> packages that exist in cygwin now?  (btw, if this sounds like a good
> idea, i would be willing to be maintainer.)
>
> I feel a seperate package would be most appropriate, as it allows
> for maximum options, with least duplication.
>
> /* joakim */

You can do both: modify the fvwm2rc that comes with the fvwm package to
not reference the non-existing icons, and create an fvwm-icons package
that contains the icons and the original fvwm2rc.  You will have to do
some postinstall magic to make sure you don't overwrite the existing rc
file if it's been modified by the user, for example...  Look into the
/etc/defaults directory structure of the base-files package.

If you feel, however, that fvwm will not be very usable without the icons,
go ahead and include them into the base package.  Ultimately, it's your
call, and depends on how much effort you're willing to expend on package
maintenance.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/