Possible X-Wndows problem

I had Cygwin crash on me the other day and was wondering if this is my machine doing this (like it ran out of memory or some such) or if it was a known problem with Cygwin.

What happened:

I wrote a small program which opened a 400x400 pixel screen and then proceeded to write to each pixel varying colors. The program worked at first but after allowing the program to run several hours while it randomly wrote colors to the dots (in the proper range of course), Cygwin crashed and died leaving the system in an unstable state (ie: I had to reboot my Windows box).

System Statistics:

Pentium-4 3.0Ghz cpu
512MB of memory
Standard things like keyboard, optical mouse, scanner, etc....
Lots of hard drive space (11GB free)

Notes:

I was not using OpenGL but was rather using the standard X Windows/Motif drawing routines to handle the drawing of the dots. I am thinking that due to the enormous number of times Cygwin had to write a single dot, then update the window, that maybe I ran into some kind of a buffer overflow. I have run my test program and Cygwin does die each time. Usually after a couple of hours. So it takes quite a while to build up to whatever it is that is causing this. I am trying to reduce the overall program down to where I can post the example program but if anyone has run into this before, I would appreciate an e-mail or a post pointing me in the right direction.

TIA to whomever answers.

Mark