Re: Multiwindow request

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003, Earle F. Philhower III wrote:

> Hola all,
> At 04:12 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, you wrote:
> >...Perhaps a separate X client that runs in multiwindow mode and provides the
> >root menu functionality might be a better idea...  It could modify the
> >standard Windows root menu by adding a submenu, which it would then have
> >complete control over...
>
> Instead of this, why not just use the Windoze desktop that's already there?
>
> You can start a remote xterm by creating a new shortcut on your desktop
> and making the command "rexec <host> /usr/X11R6/bin/xterm -display
> <mymachine>:0.0".
>
> You could do a shell extension, but I'm not sure how you'd go about compiling
> it w/o MinGW or MSVC, and even then it's probably not trivial to append to the
> standard desktop menu under different OSes (95 w/o the IE4 pack probably
> doesn't
> even support that, and it's most likely a different IF between 98 and NT in
> keeping with MS tradition...)

Umm, Earle, you didn't quote the complete message.  The shortcut is almost
what I was suggesting in the first part of it (quoted below):

At 04:12 PM 6/2/2003 -0400, I wrote:
> IMO, the ability to start clients is the function of the window manager.
> I know fvwm provides such, and so do KDE and CDE.  In multiwindow mode,
> the window manager is native windows (Explorer?), which has its own start
> menu and its own desktop management, so those are the tools that should be
> used to start new clients.  The only way in which the Explorer WM is
> different from the traditional WMs (like fvwm, etc) is that it's not aware
> of the DISPLAY value (which may or may not be a problem).
                        ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The reason I wrote the second part (which you did quote) was that the
Explorer context menu would not know the value of DISPLAY to set for the
X clients it would start...  An X client would, of course, know it.  BTW,
that value is not necessarily "<mymachine>:0.0"...

IIRC, Cygwin already requires some version of IE to be installed on 95 to
function correctly (it may even be IE4, have to check the code).
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu